To be fair, this post is more to start a Computers category so that my old post on hotpotatoes in wordpress has a better home.
But, if I can give one piece of advice for all your computing aspirations, it probably would be to Use Linux.
In the “Real World” this advice should be taken with a grain of salt, as Linux will drive you crazy.
The good points:
- It’s Educational
- It’s Free
- The world would be a Better Place if more people used Linux
- It can do anything (probably with a large quantity of hacking)
- People will look up to you (or think you’re crazy, but you can’t please everyone)
The bad points:
- You have to learn stuff to use it
- No one has a monetary interest in helping you out
- Not very many people use Linux
- Just about everything requires some hacking
- People will think you’re crazy
but the best things in life are free, and being different has it’s advantages.